On July 7, Israel launched Operation Protective Edge to intensify defensive efforts against Hamas. To date, hundreds of powerful rockets have been fired on Israeli cities from Gaza. Three-quarters of Israelis lie within their range, but no one is immune to their effects.
“No country on Earth would remain passive in the face of hundreds of rockets fired on its cities,” said Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, “and Israel is no exception.” The IDF has mobilized its troops along the Gaza border and called up tens of thousands of reserve soldiers, and the entire country remains on edge.
As hostilities escalate and urgent needs grow, we in North America stand shoulder to shoulder with all Israelis.
Here’s what the Jewish Federation’s partnering agencies in Israel are doing:
- Moving 36,000 children out of harm’s way for respite in camps
- Making immediate SOS Grants of $1,000 to victims’ families
- Offering trauma counseling for the elderly, disabled and immigrants
- Refurbishing hundreds of bomb shelters
- Supporting 2,500 new immigrants overwhelmed by the current situation
- Delivering meals to homebound seniors who rely on JDC day care centers
- Running activities for children from low-income families in the range of the rocket fire
- Creating a manual with emergency protocols for people with disabilities
- Providing crucial database information to temporary caseworkers working with elderly and disabled residents in 13 locations across the south
- Holding science and technology summer camps in a youth village in northern Israel for 500 children from the Sha’ar HaNegev municipality
- Minimizing children’s trauma at all affiliated schools and programs
Donate on-line today to the
Stop the Sirens Emergency Campaign
You can also send a check -- with “Stop the Sirens” in the memo line – to
The Jewish Federation of New Mexico
5520 Wyoming Blvd. NE
Albuquerque, NM 87109
Or, please call the JFNM at (505) 821-3214 to make a credit card contribution.
With thanks for your support,
Jewish Federation of New Mexico